ENGAGE - ENERGIZE - EMPOWER

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Not what I envisioned

Then again, it's not what anyone envisioned.  Around the middle part of the last century, when we - especially Americans - were hopped up by the gee whiz! promises of science, it was exciting to think of a life that extended beyond the average age of 66.5 (white males) or 72.2 (white females).  Here we are, 60 some years later, and that rate HAS increased, to 76.5 and 81.3 (respectively).

What is considered "old age" has moved upwards over the past half century, yet for some strange reason the age that society tags as "senior citizen" has decreased.  Significantly.   It's the rare store or organization that still makes reaching 65 as criteria for senior citizen.  AARP - the ultimate "senior" organization - lets you join at age 50.  50!  An amazing # of my classmates are or soon will be retired, having been offered too-sweet-too-resist early retirement packages by their employers.  

We're living longer, yet being labeled senior citizens 15 years before our parents were, and a lot of us are being edged out of the business world.  Mind you, a lot of my classmates who are or soon will be retired were able to do so with hefty savings & looking forward to spending time with their kids & grandkids or starting second careers; some will even make more money working part time as consultants.  But a lot of other retirees wind up stocking shelves at Walmart or flipping burgers at Burger King or hauling in shopping carts from the Giant parking lot.  

That is not what I envisioned when social scientists were selling the idea of sweetly extended life.  I doubt anyone did.  Alas, turns out reality is topsy turvy from what we were sold... i mean told way back when.

Mind you, my own life has been blessed.  My gosh, I was unexpectedly leaving employments from my late 20s.  I learned early on that dreams can go pouf! in an instant ~ AND ~ that every  unexpected step has immeasurable value.  John  & I were blessed with older parents who were attentive engaged vibrant through their final days at 87 & 91.   There was more,much more - it seems like all of my older friends, men & women in their 80s & 90s, lived similar attentive engaged vibrant lives.  

But more & more,I look around & it seems so much of our culture's attitude toward the aging & the old is downright topsy turvy. 

Praise be, I've had experience with topsy turvy all my life, experience transforming it into something that somewhat resembles balance.  It's what I'm good at, won accolades for in business & a sense of peace in my personal life.  Who better to get fully involved in the glorious efforts afoot to turn around our nation's whacked-out views about being older & older care!

If a lot of someones don't step up and change how we view & experience aging - not just after we turn 50 or 62 or 65, but long long before - things are going to get incredibly worse remarkably fast.  Hallelujah, a lot of people are.  Count me in!

The life that lies ahead for me is not what I envisioned when social scientists back in the '60s  ballyhooed we'd live considerably longer lives than our parents, way past our grandparents.  

Here we are - X marks the spot where I whole-heartedly dedicate the rest of my life working to the best of my ability to ensure that the years ahead of me - ahead of every "senior citizen" - are something worth ballyhooing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment