ENGAGE - ENERGIZE - EMPOWER

Monday, March 31, 2014

Transformational Speaking... - Omega

...If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story.


Let's face it - winning the hearts & minds of people, bringing them on board to a radically different, more holistic view of aging, requires authentic communication, soul to soul.  

Gail Larsen's 06/27-29 Omega workshop description seems to say it all - communication requires taking a "powerful and natural step into" my own "magnificence and truth," discovering the place of my "personal power and authenticity."

My psyche would once have cowered at the thought of such words.  Especially authenticity.  Authenticity was an alien concept to me.  

From my earliest years & especially after my early twenties, the people in our family with the most clout on our culture seemed uncomfortable with authenticity.  Frankly, I was pretty warped, growing up with sibs who seemed to regard it as an alien term, cloaking it in interpretations I never grasped.  

Today, I like authentic.  I'm looking for authentic in my life.  

Some people will be askance at the thought of me as an ineffective communicator.  Gibber gabber is not the same as making myself heard - truly heard.  

"The ability to move others has little to do with your facts and information.  It comes from eliminating fear and distrust of expressing your deepest values."  That's another challenge - expressing my deepest values, identifying accepting honoring what they are.  

How true that if you want to change the world, tell a better story.  When you strip down to what is essential, we are more the sum total of our stories than our DNA.  They hold great power & the person who can convey & share them the most effectively winningly convincingly has found the key to success. At this moment in time, that's not me. 

Seeking to be a catalyst to a more holistic aging is a huge task.   It's true, I only taken baby steps, but they are headed in the right direction.  

Still, it won't matter to the many unless I find ways to I successfully quantify what I do, then set them out in ways others can learn, make their own, and use.  

Back in my corporate days, they drummed into us that success is pretty straightforward - identify something of perceived value, find the simplest way to offer it to the public, then duplicate duplicate duplicate. I have something of increasing value.  Now I have to figure out how to transform a personal grace into steps anyone can follow, a way for it to be shared, then repeat & repeat & repeat.  

It's important that my heart's desire organically.  To grow it beyond just a few clients, am seeking ways to team up local resources & elder care communities into mutually beneficial partnerships.

Adlai Stevenson is reported as saying, "When I speak, crowds applaud.  When Jack Kennedy speaks, they march."  Here's hoping Gail helps me set people of all ages marching!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment