ENGAGE - ENERGIZE - EMPOWER

Friday, June 17, 2016

This is considered personal care?


Image result for oversized carafe of fruit infused water


The reason I've spent HOURS this morning writing about dehydration & the elderly is because of a weird situation last night, visiting an older friend at the senior care residence where she lives.  

John & I had stopped by for a visit, as we often do.  (She is dear to both our hearts.)  She used to be in Independent Living, but moved a while back to the Personal Care unit. She currently lives on the dementia floor.

It was John who wondered why there weren't any water fountains in the public areas.  Personally, I considered that a pretty dorky thought - who has water fountains in their house?  

But then I got to thinking.  In the gracious 1st floor lobby, there is always, even in the midst of winter, a beautiful over-sized container of chilled fruit-infused water with stacks of glasses.  In the Independent Living units & even in regular Personal Care apartments, there are kitchens & refrigerators where residents can easily get a glass of water.

Because of John's wise observation, it hit me that things are very different on the dementia floor.  There are no kitchens in the rooms, no sinks (except in the bathroom), no fridges.  

There is no carafe of any sort of water on the counter in the dining room, no water bottles at the nurse/aide station.


Image result for oversized carafe of fruit infused water

Inspired by John, I asked the woman at the station, "How do you help ensure that your floor's residents get enough water throughout the day?"  

She answered that they are served water at each meal, although it was unclear anyone makes sure the residents drink it.  

Curious, I pushed on.  "There's an enticing large carafe of water in the lobby, there are sinks & fridges in Independent Living & throughout the rest of Personal Care.  In addition to glasses of water at mealtime, how does this floor help ensure its dementia residents - more prone than already vulnerable elders to not getting enough water - are sufficiently hydrated?"

Her answer set me back on my heels.

"That's not up to us.  That is up to the individual's family.  They have to stock the resident with water & it's up to them to make sure that the older person is getting enough to drink."

I could not believe my ears & pressed on.  She assured me that the families area all aware of their responsibility & said something that I still don't follow about this being because the apartments were home-like.  BUT if it is an unusually hot day, the staff will make sure there is A bottle of water in each room.


Image result for water bottle


This is what they call PERSONAL Care for elderly people who face the double challenge of decreased desire to drink & memory loss that makes getting enough fluids even more challenging?

I have no idea what the actual policy is.  The woman could have been completely off base in her explanation.  But I do know that my John was right, that there was nothing in sight that would have made it easy for a resident to grab a glass or bottle of water.  

She is not my relative, so I can't make a stink about it, can't get to the bottom of that totally unsatisfying answer, but I can't shake those words, "It's up to the families," out of my head.  Our dear friend's family is paying a bloody fortune for what is billed as Personal Care.  Our cats get better treatment when we board them.  Chilling.  


Image result for cat drinking from water dish


Graphics
overstock.com
overstock.com
aconcordcarpenter.com
emaze.com

No comments:

Post a Comment