ENGAGE - ENERGIZE - EMPOWER

Sunday, June 12, 2016

"You make me think"


Image result for different point of view quotes


Last night, someone at a grannie client's senior residence shared that with me her appreciation that I always make her think.  She'd asked me a question about what's happening on our national political stage.  Don't recall my response, but am still smiling at remembering her quiet comment.

That's a primary reason behind my WHY for working with older friends - they make me look at things from a different perspective, hopefully I do the same in return.  Now that I ponder it, the same is true for all my friends, across all ages.  As much as I enjoy sharing my point of view, I want to hear theirs even more.

And I love to hear from all ages, from interesting youngsters to mouthy teens & far beyond.  Different ages see things in different ways.


Image result for different point of view quotes


When I spout off on Facebook, at Mumbles of a Radical Centrist or older2elder, to friends & loved ones, my hope is not for agreement, but to engage others to share what they think.  

That drove my family nuts. They never got what I was after, always assumed I was cleverly trying to influence - or, worse, manipulate - them to agree with me.  Yes, I am going to go toe-to-toe in presenting my point of view  ~and~  my expectation is that they will do the same.

Over the past few days, several people have shared with me appreciation for my having helped them look at something in a new or different light, including an older friend who INSISTED that I join his senior residence's weekly current events discussion because he knew I'd help keep it hopping.  

For someone who spent well over half a century dealing with people who always looked behind what I said for a secret meaning, who felt my every action came from a hidden agenda, having others feel that I make them think, that I stir up discussion with a personal opinion but without judgment or agenda - that feels great.  


 Image result for different point of view quotes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment