ENGAGE - ENERGIZE - EMPOWER

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Finding the balance


One of my forever realities is loving doing things for other folks.  One of my pitfalls has been offering help when it doesn't really work for me.  (I've always been relatively good at stepping back when helping out would harm rather than serve.)

It was going beyond a healthy boundary to offer to pick up & deliver a book from my church then hike it out to my oldest brother, who lives about 45 minutes from Squirrel Haven.  He hadn't asked me to, but there I was, giving up 90 minutes of drive time to do something that he can do just as easily & less expensively (postage will be less than mileage) on his own.

But find out where two pics in our local college alumni magazine where taken?  Hey, that I can handle in a flash, even at almost 9:00 p.m.  Hey, Facebook! 

Being in the lives of folks who experience me as a bit of a pain is possible, it just requires a balancing act.  The older I get, the more I am able to give up, the fewer issues are worth getting bent out of shape over.  The older I get, the more I see both the humanity in others & the humor in situations that would have once driven me right up a tree.

Will I be able to find out the answers to Peter's inquiries before he heads off to slumbers tonight ~or~ is he destined to track down someone in the Academy business office for his info?  We shall see.  Whichever, am grateful for the situation coming up, for appreciating anew that we can create new healthier versions of old toxic relationships - all we need to is be willing to find a loving balance.




No comments:

Post a Comment